8.07.2008

Book Review: Organic housekeeping by Ellen Sandbeck




I just got done reading this book. I really liked it and am considering buying it to have a copy of my own. A lot of non toxic inexpensive ways of living and some organizational tips I love. Here are a couple fun excerpts:


"Many of us who live in the developed world have gone well beyond satisfying our basic physical needs. In fact, we have gone so far that some of those basic needs are no longer being met. We seem to have forgotten what our ancestors knew quite well: The only real reason to do any cleaning at all is in order to maintain our health. If that cleaning happens to make our homes and our clothing look prettier, so much the better. But if we clean just for appearances, rather than for health, we may end up rubbing our burning eyes, scratching our rough, reddened skin, and suffering asthma attacks while wearing soft, fragrant, toxic clothing in gleaming homes that make us dizzy with the aerosolized essence of mountain meadows. Then we can look out the windows and watch the robins fainting on our perfect lawns."


"Our great-grandmothers' homes were obviously clean enough, or we wouldn't exist."


"If you are tyrannizing your loved ones in order to keep your house "just-so," try to relax! Try really hard! Most people will find you much more attractive if you smell like freshly baked cookies rather than Lysol."


"There are people in my family who can barely find their underwear while their wearing it."

2 comments:

LAURA said...

Those exerpts cracked me up. I've been trying to clean a little more "green" too, so let me know of any tips you hear of. I think I'm doing pretty good today, I didn't clean but I did make cookies!

Anonymous said...

I love the smell of Lysol in the morning LOL.
Mom